[AusNOG] NBN Buying Group

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Wed Jul 29 11:19:09 EST 2015

Hi,

Sorry for the list SPAM. We've been chatting in our office about our
current commercial dissatisfaction with our NBN aggregation services, but
lamenting that our volume is not sufficient (nor likely to be in the short
term) to justify a significant investment in NBN POI direct connectivity.

We think the metric for NBN viability comes around 100-200 active services
per POI, give or take - and that the only way that small providers are
going to be able to compete commercially (with both speed, congestion and
cost) is to continue to tolerate TW/iSeek/AAPTs aggregation or to "combine
forces" to create an NBN buying group with a more direct/transparent
process of engaging with NBN, determining speed and congestion and managing
costs.

Lots of complicated technical and commercial details to work out - but
would there be potentially some interest in this?

The key goals would be

   - essentially transparent access to NBN's B2B interface
   - essentially transparent access to port usage graphs and backhaul
   information
   - some sort of stable commercial model that protects other parties in
   the buying group from an unexpected events to another party. For example, a
   large enough group of similarly equal sized players so that the failure of
   a single party does not provide an undue burden to the remaining businesses
   - or something.

This is a "similar" question to the triple-play services question that was
flowing through the list last week. For the record, we got a number of
services, which isn't enough to warrant this yet. We're talking about a
setting up a closed website for managing the "potential" service numbers
for this sort of thing.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
*Andrew Yager, Managing Director* *(BCompSc, JNCIS-SP, MACS (Snr) CP)*
Real World Technology Solutions - IT People you can trust

*Real World is a Dell Premier Partner*

This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is addressed
and its content is not intended for use by any other persons. If you have
received this message in error, please notify us immediately. Please also
destroy and delete the message from your computer. Any unauthorised form of
reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. We are not liable for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this
communication, nor for any delay in its receipt. Please consider the
environment before printing this e-mail.