[AusNOG] Data Retention Workshop - Tuesday 28th July

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Thu Jul 23 12:39:04 EST 2015

I suspect that everyone on this list is well aware of the desire to do this
"cheaply" with minimum "rights invasion" and aware that the legislation is
dumb.

I'm sure you are aware that the CAC is ultimately responsible for approving
DRIPs, so to some extent the version of the truth that matters is the
version that the CAC is happy to accept - but it's our job, as an industry,
to work out what is sensible, and suggest this as our plan to implement.
Some of this is easy, but some of the stuff requires some thought. And ever
increasingly I'm hearing from our customers and everyone else I've talked
to is the repeating mantra that it is so bad, that even where to start is
hard.

Even from a legal side, we've had lots of conversations with our lawyers
(who are Thomson Geer, who are speaking at the event), who are loving the
billable hours; but are equally aware that one of the dramas is that
everyone's answer is different - and we need to work on making this easier.

That's why I went an organised this event. It's not because I think the
laws are good. It's not because they make sense. It's not because we do or
don't "know" what we should do - but it's that there is a need to clarify
and constructively move forward so that we, as an industry can be compliant
with this crappy legislation that should never have been passed parliament
in its current form.

And if you've been following the press around this, or been to a number of
events where the CAC and others have been speaking - it has been abundantly
clear that even the lawyers are relying on the interpretation of aspects
with the CAC, and then discussing, constructively, when those answers
provided don't make sense or overstep the requirements of the legislation.
We can't do this in a pure "what boxes do we need to tick" vacuum. It just
won't work because the requirements are so bad.

With regards to "storage vendors" - yes, Dell Australia have agreed to host
and sponsor a large amount of the cost associated with this event (the
majority, but not all). Yes, they sell storage technologies. Yes, they are
going to talk about them; but I think credit to them that they agreed to
work with me on this event and let the main aspect of it be a workshop to
talk about these technologies and a lawyer talking about it, rather than a
need to push their vendor based data retention solutions - like HP, BAE and
others did at the CommsAlliance event that was run a few weeks ago.
Seriously - this is a much better industry partnership than what I'm seeing
from others, and I'm pleased and proud to be associated with them in this
instance.

On the other side, I've had lots of interest in this from not just small
micro-providers; but also from larger wholesale aggregators and some of the
largest telecommunications carriers and RSPs in Australia. This shows me
that the issues surrounding this legislation and how to implement are not
isolated to those that can't/don't afford legal representation.

Equally, if I, as part of the industry can do something to help all of us
do our jobs better - and help my customers and others, with less red tape
and take us somewhere useful together then I actually think that we are
doing something positive and constructive, rather than the "put up and shut
up" mantra that seems to be often going on from people that either don't
have the job of implementing this or are still in denial about needing to
do *something* by 13th August.

</end rant>

Andrew