[AusNOG] Apple say "biasing towards IPv6 is now beneficial for our customers"

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 12:39:18 EST 2015

On 14 July 2015 at 18:30, Robert Hudson <hudrob at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 July 2015 at 18:26, Iain Robertson <iain.robertson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In some countries, absolutely.  But here in Australia, Telstra are still
>>> unable to offer IPv6 over their 3G or 4G networks (I have this on good
>>> authority as a partner who may be putting tens if not hundreds of thousands
>>> of end-points onto their networks), and my understanding is that Optus and
>>> Vodafone are in no better a position.
>>

>> Unable, or unwilling?
>

> I'd argue that the difference is semantics.  If their network team or
> billing team or product team or some other back-end team is unwilling, then
> their sales team is unable.  However, given the talks I've had with Telstra
> account management, the answer is still unable I believe, as there are
> issues they need to solve (not necessarily technology ones) before they can
> turn it on.

So that sounds like a resourcing and prioritisation problem.

In my experience sales/account teams tend to be encouraged and/or
required to only sell existing products and their features, which
fundamentally makes sense, because you don't want them selling
once-off specials at what end up being loss-making large volume
services prices. However, I think that discourages them from putting a
lot of effort into collecting requirements for future product/service
features, because there is isn't an incentive or reward for them to do
so.

Since we know that Telstra are working on IPv6 support for their
mobile networks from Sunny's presentations, I'd suggest you directly
contact him if you're willing to be a test or trial customer. Once
engineering people have at least one potential customer for a product
feature it becomes a lot easier to justify spending resources on it,
and they'll also be working with product managers who'll also make the
demand for it much more visible in the organisation, as well as being
able to request development resources for it.

Sunny's email address is at the end of this presentation:
https://conference.apnic.net/data/39/yeung.-s-ipv6-single-stack-now-or-later-apricot2015_1425125733.pdf