[AusNOG] A thoughtful note

Tony de Francesco tonyd at pue.com.au
Wed Jul 15 09:50:09 EST 2015

According to legal advice provided to me in 2012 (in my best non-legal
jargon):

Defamation involves making "false" statements, verbal or written, about them
which spoils their good reputation, which makes people want to avoid them or
which hurts them in their work or their profession.

To defame someone, you do not have to make up false things yourself. You
might defame a person by repeating or replaying words spoken by someone
else.

Whilst it is common for an individual to bring legal action after perceived
defamation, it is rare for a corporation or business to be able to sue in
relation to defamation as the national Uniform Defamation Laws prevent
corporations with more than 10 staff from initiating legal action of
defamation.

However, be warned that individuals or groups of individuals employed by or
associated with a corporation - such as company directors, CEOs or
managers - can still sue, if they are identified by the publication.

The defamatory statements also have to have an audience that is large enough
for it to be considered a statement to the community in general and
privately written communications are not usually considered to be defamatory
by nature because they do not reach a wide enough audience to be thought of
as being defamatory.

Under the national Uniform Defamation Laws there is a defence if the
defendant can prove that the defamatory imputations are "substantially"
true.

There is also the defence of "honest opinion", in which you do not need to
prove the truth of your comment.  In some cases this is not possible,
especially if it is an opinion rather than a fact. You only need to convince
the judge or jury that your comments were your honestly-held opinion and
that it was:

•  clearly a matter of opinion and not a statement of fact, and
•  it related to a matter of public interest and
•  it was based on ‘proper material’ (i.e. substantially true or based on
privileged material)

The defence can be defeated if the plaintiff can prove that the opinion was
not honestly held

The acts of each state contain Schedules of bodies and publications to which
absolute privilege apply. In Victoria you can find the Act and Schedules at:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/da200599.txt

The NSW Act is very similar at:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/download.cgi/download/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/da200599.rtf

Tony