[AusNOG] Best practice BGP and wan links

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Mon Jul 13 13:49:17 EST 2015

  You are still ultimately going to need a /29 even with VRRP, unless
you use a different IP subnet for VRRP and using the on mater / on
backup scripting built in to RouterOS.

  From my understanding of VRRP implementation, if you want a virtual IP
in the /30 subnet, you'd need both devices in the /30 then the Virtual
IP as a /32 on top (on the VRRP interface) within the /30 subnet - if
that makes sense. My only away around this would be to use say private
IP addressing just for VRRP communication, and use the scripting to
enable/disable the BGP communication IP.

  It also adds another protocol and level of complexity for no real
benefit - if moving to a /29 anyway, you are better having BFD/low
timers accross 2 separate BGP sessions then as one goes down, the next
session is already established you are just waiting for routes to
withdraw from the first session (no re-import of routes, or route flap
to the upstream provider).

  Even though I rambled a bit, in conclusion: /29, 2 separate BGP
sessions, 1 from each router.