[AusNOG] Crashes all round on Tuesday

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Jul 1 15:07:28 EST 2015

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015, Mark Smith wrote:

>> I had several links went down at 10:00 (give or take a few seconds) - well,
>> not mine so much as my upstream - and it's been blamed on this issue.
>
> So from a little bit of Human Computer Interaction (HCI) I studied
> many years ago, I remember that humans will wait for some sort of
> response for between 3 to 5 seconds. So if the period of your packet
> loss and the retransmission to recover from it is short enough, the
> humans effected may notice a slight delay, but they won't take any
> remedial actions themselves (i.e, they won't push the submit button
> again, and won't complain about it.)

This was substantially longer than seconds.
I was just on the phone to someone else in Sydney (not one of my
customers) who was saying some of their stuff still isn't back.

I've heard some services were down for 15 minutes, some for well over an
hour (and some sound like they're still down!)

Just curious. Normally this place lights up when there's a semi-widespread
issue.