[AusNOG] Crashes all round on Tuesday

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:56:03 EST 2015

On 1 July 2015 at 12:33, Ross Wheeler <ausnog at rossw.net> wrote:

> I had several links went down at 10:00 (give or take a few seconds) - well,
> not mine so much as my upstream - and it's been blamed on this issue.

So from a little bit of Human Computer Interaction (HCI) I studied
many years ago, I remember that humans will wait for some sort of
response for between 3 to 5 seconds. So if the period of your packet
loss and the retransmission to recover from it is short enough, the
humans effected may notice a slight delay, but they won't take any
remedial actions themselves (i.e, they won't push the submit button
again, and won't complain about it.)

If you wonder why people commonly print something twice, it is because
they didn't get an indication that the first print was starting within
that 3 to 5 second window, with the indication being the printer
starting to make printing noises. Since they don't really understand
that computers don't usually through things away unless they're
allowed to, they perceive that the first print out has failed so they
submit it again.