[AusNOG] BGP hold timer values

David Hughes david at hughes.com.au
Tue Jan 27 21:37:03 EST 2015

I gave a lightning talk about this sort of thing a while ago at an APRICOT.  I just googled to find the slides and can now see just how many years ago it was.  Gotta say I'm feeling old :)

But, it's probably still relevant although the defaults may have changed.  This reflected what we were running at the time - and we were trying to be pretty aggressive.

	http://archive.apnic.net/meetings/21/docs/sigs/routing/routing-pres-hughes-bgp.pdf

For reference I'm currently happy to run

	eBGP	: 10 / 30
	iBGP	: 5 / 15

And I'd run this even to a single upstream.  If it fails at least you'll have something in your logs to say why you fell off the net for a while.  Silent failures are a bugger to troubleshoot.

Thanks

David