[AusNOG] Google DNS Blocking/Unblocking

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Tue Jan 20 11:34:23 EST 2015

Just FYI, http://ip4.google.com/sorry/ definitely works on an IP address
level.  At $job-1 we did a lot of in-house SEO/SEM work, and our marketing
guys were always getting our office IP's sent to this style of captcha
because of the amount of queries they were doing against google.  Once
ANYONE had filled out the captcha, then everyone else coming out behind
that IP was able to use google again.

Cheers,

DG

On 20 January 2015 at 11:18, Damian Menscher <damian at google.com> wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2015 17:25, Paul Julian <paul at oxygennetworks.com.au> wrote:
>
>> We have noticed recently that some customers are complaining about not
>> being able to resolve DNS via Google’s DNS servers, upon further
>> investigation we have found that we seem to be getting blocked by Google
>> from pinging or resolving DNS queries to their public servers, does anybody
>> know if there is some way we can check what the issue might be ?
>>

> This smells like a network issue, not an abuse issue.  Not enough
> information was provided on-list, but if you send a traceroute to
> noc at google.com they should be able to help you out.
>
> The comment about http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/ is false -- that page
> will give you a cookie if you prove you're not a bot, but HTTP cookies
> can't help with DNS.  There's no need to memorize that URL... browsers will
> automatically 302 there if it will help.
>
> Damian
> Author of http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust