[AusNOG] Fw: RFC 7421 on Analysis of the 64-bit Boundary in IPv6 Addressing

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 16 12:41:02 EST 2015

________________________________
From: Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com>
To: "ausnog at ausnog.net" <ausnog at ausnog.net>
Sent: Friday, 16 January 2015, 11:03
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Fw: RFC 7421 on Analysis of the 64-bit Boundary in    IPv6 Addressing

>I'm still not convinced /64 isn't a waste. For instance, in multitenant environments, it would be beneficial (in some implementations) to reserve subnet bits to code for QoS, and be able to write access lists that will hit TCAM.

So the official IPv6 QoS field - the traffic class field - is the first field after the 4 bit version field, which makes it faster/easier to look at than the IPv6 addressing fields. Even equipment with the 144 bit limited TCAMs mentioned that can't look at the complete IPv6 addressing fields would easily be able to look at the TC field.

I'd be interested to know more details of your use case regarding encoding QoS in addresses, and why that would be better than using the TC field.

Still, there is nothing to prevent you from encoding locally significant information in the IPv6 IID fields (or the subnet fields too), and in fact it is IPv6's 64 bit IIDs that give you so much more ability to do that compared to what you could do with with IPv4. RFC7136, "Significance of IPv6 Interface Identifiers" discusses and makes some clarifications on the significance (or not) of bits in IIDs.

If you're arguing that 64 bit IIDs are too big, and those bits should be used for something else, then really you're saying that those bits shouldn't be addressing bits at all and should be moved to another field e.g., you want a 16 bit TC field rather than an 8 bit one.

More addressing bits are better in a number of scenarios (which is fundamentally what this RFC is about) - subnets are always large enough, so no need to renumber or add secondary subnets to add more devices; addresses containing the results of hashes (e.g., CGAs), and resistance to address probing attacks if the addresses are sparsely allocated and unpredictable, as described in RFC7217, "A Method for Generating Semantically Opaque Interface Identifiers with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)" and ID "A Method for Generating Semantically Opaque Interface Identifiers with Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)".

>Paul Wilkins

Mark,