[AusNOG] Favourite USB to serial adapter cable [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Rosenberg BruceRosenberg at nbnco.com.au
Wed Jan 7 12:40:51 EST 2015

UNCLASSIFIED
The Prolific drivers are terrible on Windows 7 / 8.x and are generally the cause of the BSODs.

The FTDI or Silicon Labs USB to UART controllers provide much more reliable drivers.

Also, for interfacing with your typical Cisco device the RS-232 driver stage needs to output at >= 5V for reliable comms.

3.3V devices are right at the bottom of the RS-232 electrical spec and are the correct voltage for playing with Arduinos and home routers but could misbehave on a device that expects 5V.

I've never had a drama with my FT232RL based device from U.S. Converters.
http://www.usconverters.com/usb-serial-adapter-xs880