[AusNOG] Favourite USB to serial adapter cable

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Sun Jan 4 17:09:03 EST 2015

In my personal opinion, there is good reason for it. Mac osx essentially being BSD underneath and the standard nix binaries available leaves it pretty good picking for netops to have advanced troubleshooting and management tools over windows. This is without having to muck around with stability on any Linux or debian installs.

They also just work, barely have issue, have a good line of accessories and features which is a big plus when it's your main money making tool.

I used to use mac, but the UI didn't suit my work flow so I'm one of those who go to the trouble of having a stable customised flavour of *nix. Mainly based off Ubuntu as that gives the least headaches for compatibility and software availability.

Apologies for going off topic, and again if my formatting disappears, typing from my phone and it's not been nice about it lately.

On 4 January 2015 4:10:51 pm LHDT, Russell Brenner <rbrenner at Brocade.com> wrote:
>I had issues on my Mac too, but there’s a chipset that’s well supported
>called the UC232A. ATEN (not be confused with A10, which I was doing
>for a while) is the one to get.
>
>http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?model_no=UC232A
>
>There’s also a fancy 4 port hub version I just found:
>http://www.aten.com/products/Mobility-&-USB/USB-Converters/4-Port-USB-to-Serial-RS-232-Hub~UC2324.html
>
>GetConsole would be sweet though, depends on price point I guess.
>
>The GetConsole Airconsole looks freaking sweet though, supports
>Bluetooth LE and WiFi.
>
>Is it just me, or do network engineers appear to have a bias toward OS
>X? (I know I do :)).
>
>On 4 Jan 2015, at 4:03 pm, Jacob Gardiner
><jacob at jacobgardiner.com<mailto:jacob at jacobgardiner.com>> wrote:
>
>I'm a Mac user and had issues in the past finding something reliable,
>until I got one of these:
>
>http://www.tripplite.com/high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter-keyspan~USA19HS/
>
>Works well using screen /dev/blah
>
>On Sunday, January 4, 2015, Radek Tkaczyk
><radek at tkaczyk.id.au<mailto:radek at tkaczyk.id.au>> wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>What are people’s preferred USB to serial adapter cable to use with
>Cisco console cables these days? I have tried many over the years, and
>they are either unreliable, have driver issues, or blue screen Windows
>too frequently.
>
>Don’t care about price – just want the most reliable one out there –
>Windows preferred, but if it works with Mac too that’s a bonus.
>
>Thanks
>
>Radek
>

>--
>Jacob Gardiner
>@jacobgardiner<http://twitter.com/jacobgardiner>

Sent from my Android device with Pigeon.