[AusNOG] Welcome to Metadata Retention

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Fri Feb 27 22:20:23 EST 2015

As a network manager, and business owner where this legislation may mean the difference between my kids going to a good school or not. I think it best we bring this back on topic.

I think the way we are now as this legislation seems poorly drafted we are going to have to wait until the systems are operating before we get a good sense of the real impact.

I think there is likely to be lots of movement and perhaps even some of it will need to be tested in the high court  before we know what we have to acutely do.

I think at the moment the most important issues are what are exactly our responsibilities as defined under the proposed legislation.

I don't think we are at a place where anyone can clearly define that right now. As to much is left open to the attorney general.

There is a similar system in aviation where rules are covered under the act. But there are then orders and CASA can create instruments.. These are essentially law that is defined by  bureaucrats  on the fly.

Matt

--
/* Matt Perkins
       Direct 1300 137 379     Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
       Office 1300 133 299     matt at spectrum.com.au
       Fax    1300 133 255     Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
      SIP 1300137379 at sip.spectrum.com.au
       Google Talk MattAPerkins at gmail.com
       PGP/GNUPG Public Key can be found at  http://pgp.mit.edu
*/