[AusNOG] Welcome to Metadata Retention

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Feb 27 18:18:40 EST 2015

On 27 Feb 2015, at 4:38 pm, Phillip Grasso <phillip.grasso at gmail.com> wrote:

> who's gonna pay for this? any increase in compliance costs normally end up costing the customer.
> Wouldn't it be funny if most of the ISP's put on their bill notices:
>
> Mandatory Government Metadata surcharge tax^H^H^H: ~+$2

That’s exactly what American phone carriers do:  They enumerate the bill, then they add a specific line item for each additional tax, duty and tariff imposed by State and Federal governments, so the consumer can see the impact of Government policy on their phone bills.

It amazes me that Australian carriage service providers don’t do the same thing.

  - mark