[AusNOG] VDSL2 DSLAM's

Paul Julian paul at oxygennetworks.com.au
Fri Feb 27 12:43:51 EST 2015

Zyxel and Planet are other good options, Planet is cheaper and offers an 8 port or 24 port DSLAM with QOS an profile options etc and all the usual stuff, this is good for small site installs or progressive installs so you can grow as the need arises, Zyxel offers a 24 port DSLAM and chassis based DSLAMs with line cards, you can mix ADSL and VDSL line cards if desired and I think there are some other options as well, there is ADSL fallback too on the pizza box models.

Planet has a very good VDSL2 bridge which is handy for installs which don’t need a router or that need a more advanced router than the consumer stuff, they all support vlans for direct vlan connectivity for EU’s as well.

Zyxel can get expensive but experience for us has shown the DSLAM’s are great, modem/routers not so great, and the cheaper Zyxel stuff is only 17a not 30a, Planet is 30a right through most gear and it works very well.

We are going to look at the Huawei stuff soon but don’t have any experience with it as yet, it looks pretty good though and is what TPG are using also I believe for their FTTB installs.

Regards
Paul