[AusNOG] SPAM-LOW: Re: SPAM-MED: Re: Firewall

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 13:16:03 EST 2015

On 25 February 2015 at 12:34, Tim Raphael <raphael.timothy at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Fairly stable" being my key point - I've come across many a bug that
> can't be worked around nor explained. The developers are community backed
> and doing a great job by I get the impression the quality isn't quite at
> the same level as the commercial offerings. For a free product though, it
> is rather good.

I've come across more show-stopping bugs in traditional hardware-centric
network infrastructure than I have in software-based network
infrastructure.  That said, I've also used a lot more hardware-centric kit,
and have used it for a lot longer.  But stability is certainly not a unique
characteristic of traditional networking over SDN or NFV, etc...