[AusNOG] "ISPs agree to graduated warnings for pirates"

Rod Veith rod at rb.net.au
Tue Feb 24 10:14:10 EST 2015

Thanks for the French law reference. A quick google search turned up this titbit:

French HADOPI Law - similar to the scheme proposed here. Law started in 2009, withdrawn in 2013.

Copied this excerpt from Wikipedia:
Abrogation of the Hadopi law

On 9 July 2013, the French Ministry of Culture published official decree No. 0157, removing from the law "the additional misdemeanor punishable by suspension of access to a communication service."[18] allegedly because "the three strikes mechanism had failed to benefit authorized services as promised". ...................

The French Culture Minister Aurélie Filippetti explained that the financial costs to the French Government in applying the Hadopi Law was not sound. She disclosed that it cost her Ministry 12 million Euros and 60 civil servants to send 1 million e-mails to copyright infringers and 99,000 registered letters, with only 134 cases examined for prosecution.

Rod