[AusNOG] "ISPs agree to graduated warnings for pirates"

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Mon Feb 23 12:16:17 EST 2015

> The problem will be Comms Alliance, like any lobby group who *thinks*
> they represent the entire industry/population whatever, wont like
> changes by a bunch of people criticising their "hard work" who have no
> affiliation with them (hey, I might be proved wrong though),

I think you're likely right there too.

I wonder how high they can be convinced to set the "threshold number" to?
If they make it fractionally less than the lesser of the "big 4" (4, 5,
10, whatever) - that would cover the "numerical majority" of users, while
impacting the least number of providers (and arguably those providers best
able to fund it, or to coerce the 'rights holders' to pay for it).

   3.2.1
    This Code applies to an ISP if:
    (a) it provides residential fixed internet access services to
    [threshold number, still under consideration] relevant Account
    Holders, or more, within Australia

No, this doesn't mean I endorse their nonsense - I DON'T - but as has been
stated, if it's a done deal and the very best we can hope for is something
we can "live with", then perhaps that's an appropriate button to push?

R.