[AusNOG] Job: Head of Network Operations - NEXTDC - SydneyC

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Mon Feb 23 08:31:09 EST 2015

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:24:13PM +1100, Cameron Ferdinands wrote:

> Ultimately it's up to you to choose your own adventure.

> > > Absolutely, what do you have to lose? Worst case you get a job offer
> > > to present to your boss for that raise.
> >
> > Please don't do that.  There's a chance your boss might say, "wow, that
> > sounds like a good opportunity.  You should take it."  Or, worse, blows
> > smoke up your arse to keep you, and puts you on the "disloyal minion" list,
> > meaning you're first on the list for all the shit jobs, and the next
> > layoff.
>
> I've only ever experienced option 1) from my previous bosses.
>
> If option 2) occurs, do you really want to work for someone like that?

Except that the scenario was that you were using the other job offer as a
crowbar for a raise, and didn't actually *want* the other job.  In that
case, neither of those options is particularly good for you.

- Matt

--
A byte walks into a bar and orders a pint. Bartender asks him "What's
wrong?" The byte says "Parity error." Bartender nods and says "Yeah, I