[AusNOG] Job: Head of Network Operations - NEXTDC - SydneyC

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Sun Feb 22 21:35:56 EST 2015

On 22/02/15 16:40, Matt Palmer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 02:25:48PM +1100, Cameron Ferdinands wrote:
>>> Apply for positions at your dream company, even if you think you might
>>> not cut it.  Many/most of my colleagues never thought they'd get the
>>> job, but did.
>> Absolutely, what do you have to lose? Worst case you get a job offer
>> to present to your boss for that raise.
> Please don't do that.  There's a chance your boss might say, "wow, that
> sounds like a good opportunity.  You should take it."  Or, worse, blows
> smoke up your arse to keep you, and puts you on the "disloyal minion" list,
> meaning you're first on the list for all the shit jobs, and the next layoff.

I have to disagree also.  It depends on your relationship with your
boss, whether your position is secure, and whether you're confident in
your skills.

In $job-1 was fortunate to have a boss who is a good friend and
genuinely cares about how my career progresses (and the feeling is
reciprocated).  I actually discussed the opportunity with him and sought
his advice about it before I interviewed.

Paul