[AusNOG] "ISPs agree to graduated warnings for pirates"

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Sun Feb 22 12:36:35 EST 2015

I'd say that would lose you 30% or more of a customer base in 30 days. The layperson isn't going to go through that hassle, and there will be plenty of ISPs out there willing to lap up those customers and comply with regulations.  My question is if you provide both residential and business, are you then forced to comply for both sets of customers?

On 22 February 2015 12:31:11 pm LHDT, Damien Gardner Jnr <rendrag at rendrag.net> wrote:
>Unless I'm reading the Introduction wrong, this only applies to ISP's
>providing 'residential' Internet services.  So seems like the simplest
>thing for any ISP to do is to email customers and say "The Govt is
>trying
>to bring in an unworkable and unfair system for monitoring your
>internet
>usage, in an effort to suck up to the movie studios.  This only applies
>residential customers, so please go to https://abr.gov.au/ and register
>for
>an ABN, and add it to your account in our customer portal.  You have 30
>days to do so, after that time we will no longer be providing you with
>internet connectivity."
>
>Voila, it's a dead topic.
>
>On 22 February 2015 at 12:16, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net>
>wrote:
>
>>  I pretty much agree with everything said here, however, in my
>skimming,
>> did I or did I not read the only end user dispute can occur after
>they have
>> final notice? what dropkick came up with that? anyone accused of
>anything
>> has a right of dispute there and then, if they want to dispute and
>have
>> wiped a 1st or 2nd warning, it is there right to do so at that time.
>>
>> I think it also needs to be made extremely clear that "all ISP's"
>should
>> be replaced by all comms alliance members - which are a negligible
>number
>> compared to overall alleged 600 or so ISP's, have you 500 customers,
>or
>> 500,000, your input and choice is as equal as any other.
>>

>> The fact it specifically excludes wireless forms also places it into
>the
>> joke box.
>>
>> I dont recall every ISP being asked by comms alliance for input, or
>even
>> if they agree, maybe thats what they are doing now? in that case, the
>> response is GAGF, your draft  has a  looooong way to go, its got more
>holes
>> in it that a pallet of swiss cheese.
>>

>> On 22/02/2015 07:33, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
>>
>>  So, the draft code is here:
>>

>http://www.commsalliance.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/47570/DR-C653-2015.pdf
>>
>> A couple of questions.
>>
>> - How does this affect businesses, companies, etc which has many
>users
>> behind their connection.  Universities/Schools, Internet Cafes,
>corporate
>> internet, public wifi, etc - which may or may not have the ability or
>> detect what their users are doing.
>>
>> What will be the penalties of businesses who can't identify the
>abuser?
>> Will a company be taken down because of a user?
>>
>> Based on the definitions an 'Account Holder' is a natural person on
> [...]

Sent from my Android device with Pigeon.