[AusNOG] wifi phone calls

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 13:28:16 EST 2015

802.11u specified optional beacon elements such as "Access Network
Type", that can be used to allow a device to automatically
discriminate on how it might use the WiFi connection. This is now
deprecated and rolled into 802.11-2012.

Parts of this standard are included in the WiFi Alliance Passpoint
certification.

In practice, I am not aware of any devices that have implemented this
part of 802.11u - most of the carrier world has been focussed on
implementations of "EAP-SIM" or "EAP-AKA" authentication rather than
the full suite of cool stuff this standard brings.

John