[AusNOG] wifi phone calls

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 17 12:15:47 EST 2015

The funny thing is that it is also a theoretically dumb idea - Telstra Wifi would be removing 'premium priced' traffic from Telstra's 3G/4G networks. They're obviously doing it because of congestion/load problems, however they're fundamentally building a newer, 'lower quality' network that is or should cannibalise the 'premium price ' revenue they receive from their 3G/4G network. In theory they should be rolling out more 3G/4G micro base stations to increase capacity instead, allowing them to continue to charge 3G/4G premium prices. The case for Wifi instead of 3G/4G base stations must be exceptionally compelling.
I wouldn't be all that surprised if Telstra are trying to charge for public Wifi bandwidth at close to the premiums that their 3G/4G traffic generates, despite the costs and quality being (theoretically) much lower.
I've also wondered about other carriers gaining wholesale access to either the Wifi network or the public phone booths to install their own APs. Telstra have an advantage here that no other carrier has here, because no other carrier has so many locations to easily deploy Wifi APs that are located so close to where the public are. I think there is also a likelihood that Telstra might not be paying for or paying much for those telephone booth locations either, as a quick search has found that public payphones are required to be provided by Telstra under the universal service obligation:

Payphones | ACMA

|   |
| Payphones | ACMAPayphone Fact sheet |
|  |