[AusNOG] wifi phone calls

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:05:41 EST 2015

Hi Ross,

Standards-based WiFi has been handling multi path just like LTE since
802.11n-2009. LTE's preferred method for shifting data - OFDM - was in
WiFi long before it was in cellular. Today, you can buy off-the-shelf
WiFi products with QAM-256 modulation, which won't be seen in LTE
until 2016.

Range in cellular networks is a function of output power and RF
management. There isn't anything particularly special about LTE's use
of RF, other than the removal of previous clocking/synchronisation
requirements that limited physical cell size.
Multiple-carrier-aggregation could make a difference, but probably not
to voice.

WiFi is restricted to low power as part of the class licence it
leverages. This is why you don't (usually) see WiFi macrocells
designed for long range.

The primary drawback to using WiFi for Voice is the client devices,
many of which have WiFi has a gimmick that hasn't been designed to
work outside of the home/office. Out in the street where your receiver
may inadvertently pick up the signals of 100 other users, you may have
issues with SNR. The handset manufacturer probably doesn't want you to
complain about battery life, so they use a transmit power that is
better suited to indoor applications, further limiting your ability to
send a signal at a level higher than the background noise.

Most of us buy our portable voice devices from a phone company that
operates cellular networks, it shouldn't be a surprise that these
operators sell devices that are optimised for their own networks.

I find the parallels between LTE and WiFi similar to the historical
argument of ATM vs Ethernet. One is beautifully over-engineered, and
the other gets the job done - we know how it turned out for ATM.

John