[AusNOG] wifi phone calls

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Tue Feb 17 10:44:35 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Ross Annetts <
ross.annetts at digitalpacific.com.au> wrote:

> The main benefit of using Wifi as a supplement to Mobile networking is due
> to the limited sprectrum and ever growing devices and needs of users for
> bandwidth.

These companies aren't using wifi to supplement mobile, they are using
mobile to supplement wifi!  At one point Republic Wifi was limiting the
ratio of calls that could be made over the mobile network (I forget the
details, but it was something like at least 75% of all minutes must be over
wifi), and although they dropped that requirements the last I saw they were
still reporting well over 80% of minutes being over WiFi.

As far as the main benefit, I'd think it's the fact that you can build out
a network with pretty good coverage for $0, with $0 ongoing costs...

  Scott