[AusNOG] Copyright Negotiations with ISPs

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Mon Feb 16 18:06:32 EST 2015

On 16/02/2015 11:20 AM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> One thing I don't like is that you even have to ask them what the membership fees
> are... they don't have it on their website.
>
> My question is:  Are they in these negotiations on behalf of the industry or just
> their membership?
>
> If it is the industry - which it seems it is, unless what they agree is only for
> their members, then they should be talking to the entire industry about what they
> are negotiating.

The outcome of these copyright working group is intended to be a Code. Once ratified
it will apply to everybody. Before it is ratified and 'made' a mandatory Code by ACMA
it will go through two separate public comment periods - once by Comms Alliance before
being submitted to ACMA, a second by ACMA - held over several months.

Comms Alliance has been around for a very long time - its not their responsibility to
go chasing views from organisations that have chosen over the years not to become
members and don't show up. Heck, they don't even require membership to participate and
contribute in working committees, they've certainly had people from non-members
contributing on working groups I've been part of.
Remember they also took over the reigns of the Internet Industry Association -
remember that, the industry representative body for ISPs that ISPs allowed to go bust
and fold?
Don't anyone complain you aren't being represented, if you haven't contributed.

The output from working groups that lead to industry codes and standards are always up
for public comment for a month or two after the working group has put the draft
together - and anyone, member or not, can review and raise issues then. Even if you
can't be bothered attending and contributing to working groups, the public comment
period is there. Of course, its much easier to steer the outcome when you are part of
the working group from the beginning rather than waiting for everyone else to do the work.

> Maybe it is time for 'The Small to Medium ISP Association' or something... represent
> the unrepresented.... but then again, would anyway pay for it.
That was the IIA. History suggests not. You still have the issue of how to handle
things when the person/organisation you choose to represent your views has a different
collective view to you, no matter who you think might do it.

Paul.
(speaking as someone who personally has contributed to several CA working groups each
year, pro bono,  as a means of giving back to the industry and keeping across whats
going on. And on occasion, being supported to represent an organisation.)