[AusNOG] On Old Hands and Young Uns

Kristoffer Sheather @ CloudCentral kristoffer.sheather at cloudcentral.com.au
Fri Feb 13 15:22:29 EST 2015

Young < Old ~ Beholder.Eye

 From: "Daniel Hood" <dsmhood at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 3:21 PM
To: "Jacob Gardiner" <jacob at jacobgardiner.com>
Cc: "AUSNOG" <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] On Old Hands and Young Uns

Seems like it.

What age counts as a young un?  On 13/02/2015 3:08 pm, "Jacob Gardiner"
<jacob at jacobgardiner.com> wrote:    Busy Friday, Karl?
    --
Jacob Gardiner
@jacobgardiner

On 13 February 2015 at 2:43:15 pm, Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au) wrote:

 There's nothing new under the sun, so no doubt this has been suggested
before.

It seems to me that AusNOG regularly has problems with some "Young Un"
not knowing "The Rules", with the inevitable result that a goodly
proportion of the "Old Hands" get their knickers in a twist, the "young
'uns" get frustrated, the quality of "genteel intercourse" drops with an
audible thud, and far too many passive-aggressive "double quotes" get
used.

When someone new bombs into the hitherto placid pool of AusNOG, the
splash (and sometimes the scream) is usually pretty audible. It's
quickly obvious to all that there's a new face around, a fresh face, one
with its eyes on the prize, and not at all on the Ways of AusNOG.

My suggestion is this. If you are an Old Hand, and you find your nether
regions being cramped in unpleasant ways, and upon inspection discover
that you knickers are, in fact, twisted, why not contact the offending
Young Un off-list and offer your services as a Mentor? You would be
doing everyone a favour, including yourself. The nasty, noisy
pitter-patter of little feet would stop, the Young Un concerned would
get further, faster (and might avoid a few embarrassing and costly
mistakes), and AusNOG could remain the pristine place of quiet worship
it has always been. You as Mentor would have the satisfaction of helping
a lot of people and probably learning a thing or two yourself.

In due course said Young Un, now trained in the Way of AusNOG, could
take his or her place amongst the elite, accrete suitable amounts of
crustiness and possibly even (obviously many, many, many years hence)
mentor someone in turn, thus paying off their huge karmic debt.

Just a thought.

Regards, K.

PS: If I knew anything I'd mentor someone.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882