[AusNOG] BFD on transit connections

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Wed Feb 11 11:06:55 EST 2015

Hi

That is the backup plan

Alex

From: Tom Paseka [mailto:tom at cloudflare.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 February 2015 11:05 AM
To: Alex Samad - Yieldbroker
Cc: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] BFD on transit connections

Just configure the lower timer :) (10/30 seconds being all that Junipers will accept). BGP will negotiate the lowest possible time between peers.

-Tom

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com<mailto:Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com>> wrote:
Hi

I have been in the process of trying to BFD all my BGP peers recently, to bring down my convergence times.

Interestingly I deal with 4 providers, so far I have had 2 who will not implement nor plan to. 1 who is thinking about it and 1 who was ready to turn it on.

This has raised my curiosity a bit. When I asked the list about low values for BGP keepalive/hold, I got the impression some (few) used low values. But most used the default 3m.

3min seem like an eternity in networking time.

So am I being a bad netizen asking for BFD or low (10/30) BGP timers ?

Alex