[AusNOG] Seeking VM for external access

Alastair Waddell awaddell at legion.com.au
Tue Feb 10 09:50:00 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at theispguy.com>
wrote:

AWS? Don't get much cheaper.... actually you get a free micro VM for a year
> when you sign up.... just setup another account if you've already done it.

*1 instance free for 12 months if you qualify (don’t have another instance
including in another account)*

*DigitalOcean is less than a third the price of an AWS micro instance -
it’s US5/mth*

And they’ll give you a bonus $5 or something for signing up which you can
then make last practically for ever if you use it as expressed (as needed).
Vagrant supports DigitalOcean as a provisioner.

And *they support IPv6 all the way down* (currently SNG and one of the US
locations) - which none of AWS (except on ELB), Google (hypocrites!) etc do.

They have solid venture backing - they’re not going away.

AWS is expensive in relative terms (it’s the criticism that remains when
all others have been squelched). What about your EBS storage charges etc.

DigitalOcean is a viable alternative where the additional AWS services
aren’t needed or where people prefer to roll-their-own as many do on AWS
anyway (HAProxy, RDBMS etc). Cloudflare offers a great service for free to
replace Cloudfront and DigitalOcean has a private network albeit that it’s
shared with all customers but then AWS best practice says to use TLS across
your VPC anyway so…

I think DigitalOcean will be lapped up in places where people value every
cent they spend and therefore, it will end up being a serious alternative
to AWS (try telling a Chinese they should spend 200% more (and some!)
because the private network is not shared or because the RDBMS can be
‘as-a-service).

Apologies that this doesn’t actually have anything to do with Sydney-IX
Megaport - we appear to have forked.

Regards,

Alastair

> ...Skeeve
>

> --
>
> Skeeve Stevens - The ISP Guy
>
> Email: skeeve at theispguy.com ; Twitter: @TheISPGuy
> <https://twitter.com/TheISPGuy>
> Blog: TheISPGuy.com <http://theispguy.com/> ; Facebook: TheISPGuy
> <https://www.facebook.com/theispguy>
>
> Linkedin: /in/skeeve <http://www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve> ; Expert360:
> Profile <https://expert360.com/profile/d54a9>
>

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM, <daniel at glovine.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Dear List
>>

>> If anybody whom are on Sydney-IX Megaport whom are able to offer me a low
>> spec Virtual server,  not on Vocus networks,  could you please contact me
>> ASAP
>>

>> Daniel

>--

Alastair Waddell