[AusNOG] DSL G.Fast Details

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 5 10:01:10 EST 2015

      From: Mark Delany <g2x at juliet.emu.st>
 To: "ausnog at lists.ausnog.net" <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
 Sent: Wednesday, 4 February 2015, 11:47
 Subject: Re: [AusNOG] DSL G.Fast Details

<snip>

> * I think the emerging trend could be described as 'wireless cloud first' for typical end users. I consequently wonder whether many 100s of Megabits to the home is really going to be necessary.

That's not what the bandwidth numbers say.

* The bandwidth numbers are the result of the types of devices and applications the network's end-users use. If the attributes and characteristics of the devices or applications change (desktops/laptops to smartphones/tablets, local apps to 'cloud' apps, "download it all before watching it" (i.e., P2P/bittorrent style distribution) video to on-demand streaming video), then the profile of the traffic on the network might change, and it isn't always guaranteed to go up.

Mark.