[AusNOG] DSL G.Fast Details

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Wed Feb 4 15:27:59 EST 2015

> I would imagine they would be replaced with passive splitters as per
> standard PON design, for in the pits.

Possibly.

Wouldn't that depend on the type of link upstream from the pit? If
it's an active service upstream from the pit then you'll still need an
active device in the pit.

Maybe the meta question is, will the roll-out of the fiber component
of FTTdp be amenable to conversion to FTTP? I don't think that they
are necessarily interchangeable. Particularly when you consider costs.

As I understand it, an active system sufficient to meet the immediate
VDSL demands of a single pit is quite a different roll than a passive
system that assumes fiber termination to all premises.

IOW, if it turns out to be cheaper to roll fiber to the pit that is
*just* sufficient for the immediate future then it may be insufficient
for an FTTP upgrade.

As someone else said, most houses have multiple copper pairs (my
experience has been two too) so some sort of bonded G.Fast could be an
upgrade path, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that an
upgrade from FTTdp to FTTP is strictly a pit-to-premise problem.

Mark.