[AusNOG] pluribus networks

Tom Paseka tom at cloudflare.com
Wed Feb 4 02:04:23 EST 2015

Hi

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 1:00 AM, Doug Youd <doug at cumulusnetworks.com> wrote:

> Pluribus hardware is actually fairly unique; it’s basically a reasonably
> beefy x86 server and broadcom Trident2 ODM switch fused together. It also
> has a relatively high bandwidth link between ASIC and the server.

Actually, its Intel ALTA silicon, connected via PCIe to the x86 server
underneath.

> All the switch HW Cumulus currently has on the HCL
> <http://cumulusnetworks.com/support/linux-hardware-compatibility-list/> is
> more of a traditional switch design; Trident/Trident+/Trident2 ASIC +
> low-power PPC/x86 CPU daughter card and roughly 1g between the two (mostly
> a limitation on the Trident’s control plane path)

Pluribus also attach a Marvel Advanced NPU to the box, giving you extensive
extra network capabilities before you even need to get into the x86 CPU.

Switching packets is one thing. Trident is another and in high density,
high flow environments, it doesn't work too well. (head of line blocking
:-) )

We have a number of Pluribus switches deployed throughout our network.

-Tom