[AusNOG] dual home - set one carrier to secondary with AS prepend - not working

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 15:33:47 EST 2015

> On Dec 21, 2015, at 1:26 PM, Mitchell, Peter <Peter.Mitchell at santos.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm trying to steer incoming traffic to our 3 x /24 networks via Testra
> as primary carrier.  On secondary link (nextgen) we use multiple AS path
> prepend on the BGP configuration.

BGP conditional advertisements may help you here. Just be aware it's a
slightly more obscure feature so the trade-off in terms of operational ease
may not be worth it.

https://ccieblog.co.uk/bgp/bgp-conditional-advertisement

Assuming your contracts with the respective carriers permit it (more of a
business/commercial decision), it's probably also smart to keep some
traffic running on both links at all times anyway - that way you know they
are working for when you need them.

There is nothing like the pain of failing over to a backup link that is
running errors or has been shutdown by another staff member for some reason
or another.

Cheers,

Sam