[AusNOG] Cisco SFP-GE-Z in Melbourne

Thomas Weible - FLEXOPTIX Thomas.Weible at flexoptix.net
Wed Dec 16 18:54:08 EST 2015

Hi Tony,

> I'd like to get my hands on a couple of Cisco SFP-GE-Z  (1550nm fibre SFP - 1gbps) in Melbourne this afternoon for an install tomorrow morning.
>
> Normally we'd have stock or order as required but a carrier has decided to deliver a fibre service directly from "exchange" and use 1550 optics for the longer distance, instead of delivering from their rack within the same DC (which is what we were expecting). We've got handfuls of the 1310nm optics, but none of the 1550 ones. We also have plenty of spare 10G 1550 optics, but not helpful in this case where it's only 1G service.

there is the possibility to operate the 10G 1550nm at 1G speed (dependens on the transceiver hardware). You only have to reconfigure them so that the 1G device will accept these transceivers. Is someone around Melbourne having a flexbox in hand? If yes, we can give it a try to reconfigure your transceivers.

Let me know.

Thomas