[AusNOG] Remote hands in Ballarat, Vic

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Tue Dec 15 20:43:31 EST 2015

Hi All,

Slightly off-topic, but I'm pulling my hair out.  Churned my folks' DSL to
my work today, and had posted them a new preconfigured DSL modem and
mikrotik router, so I wouldn't even need to talk them through reconfiguring
their modem.  Yeah, that went well.. NOT!  In the process of plugging them
in, dad has blown up his PC (looks like somehow he plugged the UPS into
itself... I don't even know how.), and has nuked their existing DSL modem
as well.

The new modem+router don't appear to be connecting.   I'm looking for
someone near Wendouree to rock up to their place with a laptop with 3g +
teamviewer (will also preferrably need an ethernet port, though wifi may
do..), and get me access to the mikrotik to figure out where the problem
is.  It auth'd to our LNS three times when their pair were first plugged
in, so it *should* be working, but it hasn't connected since..  I config'ed
both modem and router blind, so it's likely I just missed something basic
like say allowing PPPOE through the firewall or something ;)  Or it may be
that dad has helpfully re-connected cables and the phone line is plugged
into the router rather than the modem or somesuch. :)

If you happen to work at a local computer place, and can take dad's PC away
and figure out wtf he did to it, and repair it for me, even better.

Obviously, I'll pay :)

Thanks,

DG

(Yeah, it's been one of those days!)