[AusNOG] NBN FTTN And Migrations and End User Equipment

Tony Miles tmiles42 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:00:18 EST 2015

Hi Matt,

This is different to what I understood, which I had gleaned from 3 separate
sources:

1. The NBN guide on this stuff (section 7)
http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/sfaa-wba2-product-catalogue-nebs-product-tech-spec-fttb-fttn_20150824-to-FTTN-launch.pdf
2. The guide from our wholesale provider, which mirrors the above section
in NBNCo doco
3. Whirlpool, which I realise is tenuous, but there is a lot of discussion
on this particular part of NBN in various threads.

>From the NBN doc:

"NBN Co encourages but does not require Customer to register VDSL2
Equipment to be used with the NEBS supplied by means of the NBN Co FTTB
Network. or the NBN Co FTTN Network"

So now I don't know. Certainly internally we are following the process
given by our wholesale provider which is to get our chosen CPE certified at
the NBN test facility and go from there.

In regard to how the work is done to migrate from ADSL (existing) to VDSL
(NBN) my understanding was that during the Node installation phase an extra
copper loop was installed that goes from pillar to Node and then back to
pillar, effectively providing a "pass through" connection that goes through
the Node now for existing ADSL services (there were outages on existing
ADSL while this was being jumpered). When an NBN service is ordered on an
existing line the loop that returns to the pillar from the Node is
disconnected and the copper is jumpered to the Node DSLAM.

I'm still not certain if voice pass through (to exchange) is being
supported, but if this is, then the copper return back to pillar is left
connected, but with a filter on it so that DSL frequencies do not go past
the Node.

regards,
Tony.