[AusNOG] Low cost 10G SFP+ switches?

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sat Dec 12 21:11:50 EST 2015

Hola list,

Cool quiet Saturday night, with a easy question for those already onto the
harder stuff...

What is available in low cost switches that have SFP+ for 10G? The cheapest
I've come up with is a Netgear...$670 24x1g 4xSFP+
<http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking_-_Wired/Gigabit_Switches/58774-DGS-1510-28X>

I feel like there must be other options for either pure or mixed SFP+
especially given all the China OEM/whitelabel things floating around DCs
these days.

Does anyone have a favourite, doesn't need to be DC quality, also doesn't
need to be advanced purely for layer2 not even MPLS or VLANs. Oh and
doesn't need to have a lot of ports. Looking for lowest TCO, not per port
efficiency (where I know you can get for a few k a 48 porter from eg
Force10 etc).

Basically the rasberry pi of SFP+ switching... (hmm is that an option, Rpi
with some dodgy chinese SFP+ switching modules soldered on?)

Enjoy the beers!