[AusNOG] Acceptable dBM loss over SM cross connect in a datacentre

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:20:04 EST 2015

*Your switches are (probably) reporting the receive POWER at -12dBm (which
would sound about right). I doubt the switch any way to know what power the
other end is sending and therefore no way to know what the attenuation is.*
Not at the physical layer, no. Seems a missed opportunity this wasn't
incorporated in the BFD protocol. It'd be a natural mix of synergy, control
plane, link reliability, and TX power. I'd be tempted to post an RFC myself
but for other irons in the fire etc.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins