[AusNOG] Acceptable dBM loss over SM cross connect in a datacentre

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Fri Aug 28 15:40:39 EST 2015

What kind of optic?  Assume LR in a DC on SM.  10GBaseLR has an optical
budget less than 10dB, so -19dBm should be triggering low power alarms.
Inside a building I'd expect to see under 4dB loss - will depend a lot of
patching (is it a single cable or lots of bulkheads as you pass through a
MMR or many of them).

(SMF is 0.1dB per Km with splices, patches more (usually considered 1dB) -
hence why inside a building is going to be a bit higher if lots of
patching).

I'd fault whoever is providing you the patch.

MMC