[AusNOG] LAW REVIEW - Data Retention for Content Service, Providers and Hosting Service Providers

John Lindsay johnslindsay at mac.com
Thu Aug 27 23:17:16 EST 2015

I’m a director of a web hosting business so I made enquires of the CAC as part of keeping myself informed about the industry.

The advice I received from the CAC was that _they_ couldn’t determine if the business providing only web hosting was an ISP because that is administered by the ACMA and Department of Communication and that I would need legal advice to determine if we are. That means they will require advice too since they’ve stated they can’t work it out by themselves.

We’re not members of the TIO and don’t provide an Internet carriage service to the public a logical reading of the amended Intercept Act is that we’re not actually obliged to comply and that we are in fact an “end user” not an ISP. We don’t do any of the ISP compliance things like file an ICP or submit responses under any Record Keeping Rule.

Naturally we will continue to retain relevant data but of interest my reading of the FAQ and the comments from the CAC seem to suggest that retaining the web access logs is not permitted. That’s a pity because I am aware from media reports that web server logs have been used by law enforcement in the past.

What a mess. It’s such poor drafting. They could have trivially made the amended Act include “Content Service Providers” in the definition and all would have been crystal clear.

I wrote a long piece on this here:

http://blog.lindsaystrategic.com/2015/07/31/how-data-retention-affects-web-hosting-service-providers/ <http://blog.lindsaystrategic.com/2015/07/31/how-data-retention-affects-web-hosting-service-providers/>

where I go through the logical steps to come to the conclusion.

It’s pretty obvious that you can find lawyers who will agree and lawyers who will disagree.

Cheers,

John Lindsay
johnslindsay at mac.com
+61403577711