[AusNOG] Looks like a total beast but would you dare run your core network on it?

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Mon Aug 24 15:00:50 EST 2015

Mikrotik's have been discussed for a while - plenty are using at the
edge, some are using at the core. I personally use CCR1036-8G-2Splus at
my core, which use the same CPU architecture as the 1072 just less
cores, and different interface options.

I haven't had much issue with them, but I also pick and choose my
software releases, and don't configure new (or unused) features on
production to avoid bugs.

I run 2 with as much active-active and failover redundancy as I can, and
the cost of the 2 ($3k~) still far cheaper than a couple of Cisco
routers for my networks ~500mbit / 200kpps throughput. (1 router is
currently doing most of that work sitting at 10-15% CPU with
conntracking + firewall mangle rules + about 10 simple queues)

The biggest problem is multi-threaded use for some of the important
processes in them, BGP being the main one, and single TCP stream being
the other. They each seem to be limited to a single core at a time so
importing full tables and updates/withdraws can take a bit to propagate
in the route table. TCP single stream only seems to be able to get to
1gbps, again seems to be a single core restriction.

ROSv7 is meant to fix a lot of this but still in alpha stage, no public
betas even heard of yet.