[AusNOG] SS7 hacked on 60 Minutes, an Australian Senators phone tapped from Germany

Mister Pink misterpink at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:42:45 EST 2015

The first thing that struck me was the claim that any phone can be hacked
from anywhere in the world.  They then went on to demonstrate by
intercepting a call from a Journo in a basement stood next to them using an
IMSI Catcher. To me this says, anywhere in the world, provided that the a
or b party is nearby, and probably in an area with poor mobile signal?

As for the geolocation data, I suspect that this is done with an SS7 hack
that relies on them sending silent SMS messages, this can be done from
anywhere in the world, but that's not quite the same thing as listening in
to calls.