[AusNOG] Data Retention Charge To End Users

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Tue Aug 18 22:11:24 EST 2015

On 8/18/2015 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
> I know when Andrew Yager ran the Data Retention workshop in Sydney
> >recently towards the end and this was only touched on briefly about putting
> >a Data Retention type of charge on end users accounts to help cover the out
> >of pocket costs that we all face.  I haven?t seen any further information
> >about this out in the media so I am just seeing what the feeling is amongst
> >the industry and if anyone has any ideas about how to calculate charges etc.
> >
> >I feel that some kind of charges has to be past on to users as the out of
> >pocket expense to the industry is too high for us to wear and needs to be
> >recovered but it would be nice for the industry as a whole to approach the
> >together rather than some pass it on and others wear it.

I get what your saying, but given the range and the mixture of services
that these laws cover, its hard to work out exact costs.
As they will vary from provider to provider depending on the services
that are provided.
Plus as you add new services down the track you will need to re submit
Drips.
Its a bit of a mess and the references to Over the top services don't
really help.
Until we each get clarification of what we need to store no one can make
any firm decisions.
At least the Carbon Tax was straight forward and everyone new what and
who that affected.
Hang on did I just use the term straight forward when referring to
government policy, I think if it was more that way, more people would
show concern and interest.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager