[AusNOG] Carrier aggregation port redundancy

Mark Tees marktees at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 00:10:26 EST 2015

L2TP terminated stuff should be easy enough providing the carrier lets you
advertise your LNS prefixes by BGP etc.

Layer 2 hand offs could be redundant psudowires or VPLS multi-homing in
theory but who is going to do that when they can bill for another EVC or
specifically a VPLS service :D

For sites that require that level of redundancy it's probably good to build
in a backup via DSL or a second EVC.

Also, having DR plans for those links in place is good too. IE have a
second port on another device prepped and get remote hands to move it if
there is a major failure on your side.

On Monday, August 17, 2015, Nathan Brookfield <
Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au> wrote:

> Hey Mate,
>
> Layer 3 redundancy everyone will do without to much pushing, Layer 2 no
> one will.
>
> If customers want Layer 2 redundancy they need EVC's to multiple DC's.
>
> Nathan Brookfield
> Chief Executive Officer
>
> Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd
> http://www.simtronic.com.au
>
> On 17 Aug 2015, at 23:11, "paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','paul%2Bausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au');>" <
> paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','paul%2Bausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au');>>
> wrote:
>
> HI all, just wondering what experience people have had with negotiating
> aggregation port redundancy/failover at different datacentres within the
> same state for major carriers ?
>

> We are looking at implementing some geographic redundancy for our layer 2
> connections which are handed off on an aggregation port in one datacentre
> so that we have a second aggregation port in another datacentre should the
> carrier or ourselves experience a major failure like an exchange switch or
> something.
>

> We have had 2 or 3 failures over the last couple of years which luckily
> were on weekends and the impact was lower than normal, however the carrier
> does not have any interest in providing such an option across datacentres,
> they will do it within the one datacentre as long as you pay the full
> install and MRC on the second redundant port, but I can’t get them to do
> anything in separate locations.
>

> Am I the only one who thinks that having geographic redundancy for such
> services is important ?
>
> They don’t seem to think it’s an issue and are saying that they won’t do
> it but I would really like to have it for obvious reasons and am not sure
> if I should keep pushing or not.
>

> I’m interested in other peoples experience in this area please.
>

> Regards
>
> Paul

Regards,

Mark L. Tees