[AusNOG] Data Retention Charge To End Users

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Mon Aug 17 14:00:07 EST 2015

We tossed around doing this and putting it in the bill as line item that
says "Data retention levy". In the end unless the entire industry does
it.  People will use it as another commercial  point of difference. That
is customer will go to somewhere the doesn't charge it.  We submitted
our DRIP a couple of weeks back and one of the things I included as some
information about the costs to us in implementing the legislation. Oddly
we can meet most of the legislation's requirements now if we had the
funding  within the current budget to acquire the hardware and software
required to replace some older systems.

This was outlined extensively within our DRIP which as a way to
highlight the impact on our business but to also as justification in the
two year delay.

On 17/08/2015 12:32 PM, Andrew Kitchen wrote:
> Hey All
>
> I know when Andrew Yager ran the Data Retention workshop in Sydney
> recently towards the end and this was only touched on briefly about
> putting a Data Retention type of charge on end users accounts to help
> cover the out of pocket costs that we all face.  I haven’t seen any
> further information about this out in the media so I am just seeing
> what the feeling is amongst the industry and if anyone has any ideas
> about how to calculate charges etc.
>
> I feel that some kind of charges has to be past on to users as the out
> of pocket expense to the industry is too high for us to wear and needs
> to be recovered but it would be nice for the industry as a whole to
> approach the together rather than some pass it on and others wear it.
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew Kitchen

/* Matt Perkins
         Direct 1300 137 379        Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
         Office 1300 133 299        matt at spectrum.com.au
                                    Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
         Spectrum Networks is a member of the Communications Alliance & TIO
*/