[AusNOG] Azure ExpressRoute

Bill Walker bill at wjw.nz
Mon Aug 10 05:08:02 EST 2015

I just finished setting up ExpressRoute via Equinix CloudExchange in
Chicago, will be doing the same in Sydney over the next few weeks.
Getting L2 connectivity was easy, figuring out the qwerks was the hard
part.

A few issues we ran into:

1. EQ have multiple MX's for their CloudExchange service and for some
reason connected 3 out of the 4 required circuits into a single MX.
2. Once you have resources in a Virtual Network in Azure you can't
reconfigure the network. Had to build new.
3. We have ASA's in Active/Standby on our Provider Edge so could only
standup one private BGP Session. As each peer is only available down a
one circuit, we dont yet have redundancy.

Cheers,

Bill