[AusNOG] AusNOG] Dept of Communications Letter

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Tue Aug 4 12:44:37 EST 2015

On 8/4/2015 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
> Hi all, has anybody received an emailed letter from the Department of
> Communications regarding feedback on a partial exemption from the
> Telecommunications act for two companies ?
>
> Its looks like spam to me but is very close to looking legit as well, don't
> want to open the attachment without being sure, having never received
> anything from these people before I am just wondering about it.

Has someone from the two companies communicated with them before? They
don't just hand out parcial exemptions unfortunately.
You need to apply for them and the form is about 12 or 15 pages.
Then once you've filled that out, they can take up to two months to
decide if your application is good enough, did I mention the FAQ
explaining these new laws is 50 pages long.
They sent me the July one the other day.
Along with the  50 page FAQ they also sent a 400  page  document as well
explaining the legislation.
Your DRIP will get sent to a few security agencies for comment, which is
probably why they have allowed the extra time.
Anyway the point is, unless you have communicated with them, or one of
your other managers has, you won't get emails. You need to have the name
and contact info of the company owner / CEO and or someone high up in
the company on the form.
But they need to sign it.
Regards Chad.

--