[AusNOG] TPG vs the World

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Thu Apr 30 15:53:56 EST 2015

I think investing in a competitor to stop them being bought by another
competitor, so you then don't have to compete with them is by definition
anti-competitive (well it should be by the amount of times I said compet*).
Some analysts have mentioned this might be a shot across the bow to
iiNet implying "take our deal over M2's, or we'll do this to you and
block the M2 deal too".

Regardless of the end game, it's clear Teoh's got his shit in a twist
about something and he's throwing his money around to get his way.
Hopefully the anti-telstra commission step in and do something useful.

Regarding consolidation in the industry, it's bound to happen, if
nothing else the POI/CVC charges are going to make it extremely
difficult for national carriers to offer services everywhere-- but it
does open another potential avenue; where you have smaller players
focusing on their own little back yards, buying connections to specific
POIs inside their market; almost like the dialup days before MegaPOP.

-Shane