[AusNOG] Optus wants Netflix to pay up to ensure quality video streaming

Siraj 'Sid' Rakhada virtualsid at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:03:44 EST 2015

Hi,

On 20 Apr 2015, at 12:18, Beeson, Ayden wrote:

> Netflix have made it pretty clear in the US (and seem to be doing so
> here so far) that net neutrality is more important than profits or
> market share. (A viewpoint I thoroughly respect them for sticking to)

I was under the impression that they had paid for peering (or transit)
after threats and subsequent issues with Comcast and others? Found a few
articles online (link to one below, though it's low on actual content)
seems to agree that they've come to some arrangements with the larger US
ISPs.

http://time.com/80192/netflix-verizon-paid-peering-agreement/

I'm hopeful that Joseph's argument about having a choice of ISPs in
areas here being less of a stick that large ISPs can bash Netflix over
the head with.
Thing is, how many non-technical customers will end up moving to another
ISP, if they haven't figured out that that's the way to get a better
connection to Netflix, rather than simply saying "this is awful, I'm
going to unsubscribe from Netflix".

Sid