[AusNOG] Optus wants Netflix to pay up to ensure quality video streaming

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Mon Apr 20 14:18:24 EST 2015

Netflix have made it pretty clear in the US (and seem to be doing so here so far) that net neutrality is more important than profits or market share. (A viewpoint I thoroughly respect them for sticking to)

I expect their clout right now will carry them far enough to get Optus and other ISP's to rethink the whole payment for better throughput approach.

As Joseph said, there are lots of other ISP's that will be happy to take those customers off them if they are unable / unwilling to make the necessary investments in their networks by themselves....

In the end of the day, the data will come in as either BitTorrent or streaming, just because streaming can be easily "billed" to a company doesn't mean it should.

Thanks,
Ayden Beeson